restoration is moving along nicely. Three wings are now structurally
complete. The lower R/H wing is fabric covered, stitched and taped.
The fabric is glued on the lower L/H wing and it is ready for
stitching. We decided to use modern Ceconite fabric because this
should last longer than any of us. A teacher at Dovre Handverksenter
(Hjerleid) is about to make new wing spars for the upper R/H wing.
The lower R/H wing during stitching.
News 3 September
the lower R/H wing is nearly ready for fabric cowering. Like the
first wing, this is assembled mainly by repaired original parts made
at Kjeller. We even had a complete aileron. The biggest challenge
was to reproduce the trailing edge near the fuselage. The trailing
edge curves slightly upwards on Tiger Moths made by DeHavilland
while it is straight at Tiger Moths made at Kjeller. The third wing,
the lower L/H wing is also nearly finished. For the fourth wing we
only have a couple of ribs left, so we might have to make several
new ones for this.
finished lower R/H wing standing next to the fuselage while the
first ribs are being slide onto the spars on the lower L/H wing.
Only a few parts
from the original Tiger Moth no. 145 can be used, but this bracket
has survived 50 years outside in the forest.
Eckhoff has signed the aileron 10 September 1934.
A rib being
News 13 April
upper L/H wing is now complete and ready for fabric cowering. We
started out with two bad wing spars, a heap of broken ribs and a
number of worn-out metal fittings. It turned out that all except two
ribs was originally made at Kjeller. It was evident as most of them
was marked Kontrollert
(controlled) in addition to a date and a signature. Even the nails
and screws are recovered from original Kjeller parts. We think this
became an exceptionally good documentation of a Kjeller built wing.
Next in line is the lower R/H wing.
The upper L/H
wing ready for fabric cowering.
This rib was
Kontrollert the year after Tiger Moth 145 was finished. It came
originally from Tiger Moth 189.
Crash pads and
In December 2018
all available parts were trail installed on the fuselage frame. This
included seats, flight controls, the extra fuel tank and the wind
shields. Finally it looks like a Tiger Moth. Following a nearly
complete disassemble, we started final painting and installation of
parts. In order to finish installation of the upper wooden
construction, the tail and forward fuselage sections were bolted
together properly for the first time. We have also installed the
fabric on the underside of the floor boards. At present the stick
and rudder pedals are fully operational. Next is final installation
of seats. Making four new wings is also on the to-do list.
installation of fuselage parts.
With the forward seat removed the 45 liter extra fuel tank is
News 15 September
all details completed this summer are made from scratch. It is
sometimes tricky to find out exactly how our Tiger Moth was back in
1940. We have a few drawings but we are also dependent on making
measurements at the Tiger Moths based at Kjeller. The problem is
that they all have become a bit different during the years, and that
there was a significant difference between British models and the
models licence built at Kjeller.
The upper wooden
structures on the airframe about to be glued.
The first trail installation of the tail
is thrown away. You might find something useful.
News 25 April 2018
The Storch is flying and the Tiger Moth is alone in the workshop. The cockpit area was
missing almost everything and it is a huge task to get all
completed. We have acquired a few original Tiger Moth parts, but a
large number has to be made from scratch based on drawings or
The front rudder bar and
pedals made from scratch.
nothing remained from the tail section. Everything seen on this
picture is made from scratch.
The front cockpit throttle
quadrant ready for painting
The elevator trim mechanism at
an early stage of reproduction.
News 26 April
The Tiger Moth
has been on the back burner for several years. The Storch has got
most attention, but Eivind Svenningsen has done some Tiger Moth work
in-between. Notably, most of the flight controls in the cockpit
nears completion. Lots of parts has been finished and made ready for
final installation. The last component that has received attention
is the oil tank. It was badly crunched in an accident, but Eivind
has managed to make it oil tight and look right. The Storch is a few
months from being completed. Then the Tiger Moth will get full
attention from the whole team.
The painted fuselage frame ready for installation of parts.
Eivind Svenningsen re-shapes the oil tank.
Flight control details
News 28 January 2012
The fuselage frame is ready painted and the floor board is in place.
Some parts of the seat support structure and flight controls are also about to find its right place. The original front cowling is in airworthy condition.
As one of few Norwegian Tiger Moths no. 145 had an extra fuselage fuel tank which has been found and installed. More details is on its way.
The fuselage frame with a few details attached.
Two attachment brackets lend for copy and one being manufactured from scratch.
News 24 October 2010
More working hours has been spent on the workshop this summer than on restoring airplanes. 90 m² of a previously “cold” section of the building has got the same treatment as the rest of the workshop. A part of this area has become the carpenter’s workshop and the Tiger Moth airframe has already moved inn. It is about time to get started with the cockpit area. The Gipsy III engine has also got some attention. During disassembly it was found to be in excellent condition with no wear. The plan is to find missing parts and run the engine.
The carpenter’s workshop with the Tiger Moth fuselage frame in place.
The walls are decorated with Tiger Moth parts still carrying the original fabric from the pre-war period.
The Gipsy III during disassembly.
Top of page